[ensembl-dev] Jobs at Ensembl

Kurt Wheeler kurt.wheeler91 at gmail.com
Mon Nov 11 19:57:34 GMT 2019

Hi Emily,

I'm not interested in any of these positions. However I've seen a number of
these emails come through this mailing list similar (or maybe just the same
one that's not getting filled?) for the Ensembl Web Back-end Project Leader
position and it seems curious that you're requiring a MScs or PHD for "a
web development manager to lead our back-end web-team, developing web
infrastructure and APIs".  What about that position requires a higher
degree? It has been my experience in the software industry that engineers
who go back for their masters end up with less experience relevant to team
management, web infrastructure, APIs, IT infrastructure, containers, data
management and Linux because these are topics that are not taught in
masters/PHD programs, even computer science and software engineering
programs.

Anyway, I was just wondering why those higher degrees are a requirement. As
a Research Software Engineer who does not have and does not intend to
pursue a higher degree, I wonder what kind of decision making goes into
requiring them for positions that seem to be strictly related to software
development.

Thanks,

Kurt Wheeler
Data Engineer