[ensembl-dev] Jobs at Ensembl

Andy Yates ayates at ebi.ac.uk
Mon Nov 11 20:16:36 GMT 2019

Dear Kurt,

As the hiring manager for this role I feel I should respond to your question.

Whilst we say that a postgraduate level of education is desirable we do mention in our advert that "similar practical experience in biology, bioinformatics, software engineering, or related subjects" is also applicable. More important to this particular role is our request for "5+ years experience developing high-quality or production web applications". You can see more details about this role below:

https://www.embl.de/jobs/searchjobs/index.php?ref=EBI01466

We do accept that not everyone who works in this industry has taken an academic route to their current roles. We also are very aware that a number of desired skills and technology are not taught on university courses. I strongly encourage anyone who is interested in working in our roles to read through the adverts closely and please do not be put off by what might at first seem like hard requirements.

Best regards,

Andy

------------
Andrew Yates - Genomics Technology Infrastructure Team Leader
The European Bioinformatics Institute (EMBL-EBI)
Wellcome Genome Campus
Hinxton, Cambridge
CB10 1SD, United Kingdom
Tel: +44-(0)1223-492538