The Ensembl dev mailing list (email@example.com) is a forum for users of the Ensembl API, website and data including users maintaining Ensembl mirrors or developing applications based on the Ensembl code. All API/web installation questions, issues, possible bugs or other Ensembl code related queries are appropriate for this forum.
Please keep in mind that many of the users posting here are volunteering their expertise. While help is happily provided, there is an expectation that users will spend the necessary time learning the system from the available documentation.
- Before posting users are encouraged to search the dev list archives at https://lists.ensembl.org/pipermail/dev_ensembl.org/. Additional information including specific help for the API and a project FAQ are available at http://www.ensembl.org/info/index.html
- Choose a meaningful subject for your message.
- Ensembl also provides user support via firstname.lastname@example.org.
Questions sent to this address are not sent to the general dev list, but may be used as the basis of FAQ entries, blog posts or other documentation. Please do not send the same issue to both dev and helpdesk.
How to format specific question types:
- If you are posting a question about the Ensembl API, please provide the API version that you are using, which is found via Bio::EnsEMBL::ApiVersion
printf( "The API version used is %s
", software_version() );
A short code snippet illustrating a problem is normally very useful.
- Questions about installation of an Ensembl web site should include
information about the OS used and any applicable error messages.
- Questions about Ensembl data should include the release number.
Database version can be found in the database name or via the
schema_version entry in the meta table.
- Please keep messages on the list so that others can benefit from the discussion. All Ensembl team members will reply with the dev list in copy and dev messages should not be sent directly to members of the Ensembl team.
- Normal standards of professional behaviour are expected in all messages. Comments that are deemed rude or insulting are not acceptable.
- Uninvited off-list contact for commercial or other purposes is not acceptable.
- Messages sent to email@example.com will be archived. These are indexed and searchable via sources such as google.
- Job postings for Ensembl project positions at EMBL-EBI may be occasionally be sent to the list. Other jobs postings are not appropriate for the list.
To see the collection of prior postings to the list,
visit the Dev Archives
Subscribe to Dev by filling out the following
You will be sent email requesting confirmation, to
prevent others from gratuitously subscribing you. This is a private list, which means that the
list of members is not available to non-members.