[ensembl-dev] VEP server blocks https requests

Laurent Gil lgil at ebi.ac.uk
Tue Mar 26 13:58:46 GMT 2019

Dear Rokhaya,

The *homo_sapiens_merged_vep_95_GRCh37.tar *file you downloaded is what
we call a VEP cache file and is not mean to be read/parsed outside VEP*.
*Therefore we don't have a README file at the moment.*
*This file helps to speed up local installation of VEP, whithout the
need to access remotely to the Ensembl databases, nor the REST API.

If you want to run VEP locally instead of using our REST API, you can
find some documentation about the VEP installation here:
https://www.ensembl.org/info/docs/tools/vep/script/vep_download.html*
*

And documentation about the VEP cache here:
https://www.ensembl.org/info/docs/tools/vep/script/vep_cache.html#cache*
*

If you struggle to install VEP, we also have a Docker image available:
https://www.ensembl.org/info/docs/tools/vep/script/vep_download.html#docker*.
*

Best regards,*
*