[ensembl-dev] discrepancies in number of alignmentblocks between website and files, 25 eutherian mammals EPO

Matthieu Muffato muffato at ebi.ac.uk
Mon Mar 12 12:14:42 GMT 2018

Hi Christian,

While reviewing the code that generates the EMF/MAF files, I've found a
very simple reason why the number of blocks is different (apart from the
x2), and it is explained in the README
ftp://ftp.ensembl.org/pub/release-91/emf/ensembl-compara/multiple_alignments/epo_25_eutherian/README.25_eutherian_mammals_EPO

-----------
Alignments are grouped by human chromosome, and then by coordinate
system. Alignments containing duplications in human are dumped once per
duplicated segment.

I've still found that some alignments have an extra, incomplete, block
(only the ancestral sequences but not the extant sequences) but I think
those are spurious rows left from the production process that should
have been deleted. However, the API should discard them because they're
incomplete, so nothing to worry.

Matthieu