[ensembl-dev] Some general questions about ensembl's data and REST-Api

mag mr6 at ebi.ac.uk
Tue Feb 23 16:45:38 GMT 2016

Hi Fin,

1. As long as our default assembly is GRCh38, the sequence for a
specific region will be stable.
There might be minor assembly changes, which result in regions being
added, like alternative sequences.
The already existing regions remain unchanged though.

2. Disease information like Orphanet or MIM morbid are better accessed
via the Phenotype tab on the gene page
for example:
http://www.ensembl.org/Homo_sapiens/Gene/Phenotype?db=core;g=ENSG00000139618;r=13:32315474-32400266
We are currently figuring out the best way to retrieve and display this
data, hence some links might be missing.
MIM gene links will remain accessible from the external references tab.

3. The /overlap endpoint can return most Ensembl features overlapping
your region or feature of choice.
This includes karyotype band information.
You can input a gene id, or a whole chromosomal region.
For example:
http://rest.ensembl.org/overlap/id/ENSG00000157764?feature=gene;content-type=text/xml;feature=band
or
http://rest.ensembl.org/overlap/region/human/7:140424943-140624564?feature=gene;feature=band;content-type=text/xml

4. This is a bug we only recently uncovered, apologies about the
inconvenience.
Luckily, it is now fixed and will be rolled out with our new release,
84, scheduled for early March.

Regards,
Magali