[ensembl-dev] versioned Ensembl identifiers in HGVS tags reported by VEP

Kieron Taylor ktaylor at ebi.ac.uk
Mon Jan 16 11:04:05 GMT 2012

It is true that versioned identifiers are not really intended for
external use. They exist to show a history of revised data, but are
generally not used directly. It is not possible to search for an old
version of an ID in the present release, because the underlying data has
changed somewhat.

If a change is too dramatic, then a new stable ID is assigned and the
old one retired. Essentially, the versioning exists for allowing users
to find the closest up-to-date equivalent to data from an old release,
and to provide some extra information if a feature should require
further investigation.

I cannot comment on the function of the VEP, perhaps one of the
Variation team will comment on the presence of versioned identifiers.

Regards,

Kieron