[ensembl-dev] versioned Ensembl identifiers in HGVS tags reported by VEP

Reece Hart reece at harts.net
Sat Jan 14 08:20:11 GMT 2012

Hi-

VEP reports versioned ENST and ENSP identifiers when using the --hgvs
switch. The hgvs_coding and hgvs_protein columns in the
transcript_variation table also contain versioned identifiers.

This is the first time I've come across versioned identifiers in
Ensembl. I'm unable to find much information on them. Searching for a
versioned identifier on the Ensembl website fails, but using the
corresponding version-less identifier works. Similarly in the API,
Bio::EnsEMBL::Transcript::fetch_by_stable_id does't support versioned
identifiers and there's no corresponding method for versioned identifiers.
So, as far as I can tell, versioned identifiers are stored and reported by
VEP, but there's no way to use them as-is for transcript lookup.

Do I have this right or am I missing something?

Thanks,
Reece