[ensembl-dev] About the rank of "Coding unknown" in the VEP consequence output

Sarah Hunt seh at ebi.ac.uk
Mon Aug 13 10:07:00 BST 2012

Hi Yen-Hua,

The consequences terms we are now using are arranged in a tree with
child branches providing increased levels of detail. The miso
documentation illustrates this:

http://www.sequenceontology.org/miso/current_release/term/SO:0001580

If we can call a detailed consequence, we use a child term of
SO:0001580/'coding_sequence_variation', such as 'synonymous variant' .
Where we cannot - either because the alleles are unknown or are longer
insertions/deletions not handled by our current analysis - we use the
parent term.

I can see how this looks odd, but as a variant would not have both
'unknown' consequence and 'known' consequence, we find it more useful
to list the child term where possible.

Best wishes,

Sarah