[ensembl-dev] About the rank of "Coding unknown" in the VEP consequence output

Huang Yen-Hua yenhuahuang1 at gmail.com
Fri Aug 10 17:05:44 BST 2012

Hi Ensembl dev.,

I am using VEP to list the possible consequences of SNPs and just notice
that the rank of "coding unknown" (16) is higher than that of
"Synonymous
coding" (15), as indicated in
Bio::EnsEMBL::Variation::Utils::Constants as
well as on http://www.ensembl.org/info/docs/variation/predicted_data.html#consequences
.

This looks a bit strange to me. I cannot clearly get the reason about
why a
synonymous change may cause a more severe consequence than a coding
unknown case that is now also referred to as "coding_sequence_variant"
in the SO-term system.

Best,
Yen-Hua

Yen-Hua Huang, PhD