[ensembl-dev] exon coordinate discrepancy between NCBI and Ensembl

Susan Fairley sf7 at sanger.ac.uk
Tue May 24 10:13:48 BST 2011

Hi Andrea,

I'm glad you found the supporting evidence view useful. As Paul said,
during the genebuild process many pieces of evidence are aligned to the
genome and used to build transcripts. Not all of the evidence will
exactly match the whole structure that is included in the final set of
annotation. This is one of the reasons that we provide the view. It also
allows you to see the evidence that does support the UTRs, which would
appear to include NM_001127222.1. UTRs are not explicitly marked in the
evidence (i.e. no clear box). The view shows which parts of the
transcript are supported by certain pieces of evidence.

NM_023035.2 is not associated with the transcript instead of
NM_001127222.1. They are both listed as external identifiers along with
other accessions and links to many other databases. The full list is
visible here:

http://www.ensembl.org/Homo_sapiens/Transcript/Similarity?db=core;g=ENSG00000141837;r=19:13317256-13617274;t=ENST00000360228

For further information on the views available in Ensembl you might like
to look at the information here:

http://www.ensembl.org/info/website/tutorials/index.html

Helpdesk are happy to assist with questions regarding the website and
can be reached from here:

http://www.ensembl.org/info/about/contact/index.html

For more information about CCDS, please see:
http://www.ensembl.org/info/docs/genebuild/ccds.html

Additional documentation about the genebuild process can also be found
on the website.

Regards,
Susan.