[ensembl-dev] Variant Consequence Predictor

Will McLaren wm2 at ebi.ac.uk
Fri Feb 25 10:10:25 GMT 2011

Hi Stuart,

I'm not 100% sure what's happening here, but we have the variation on our
website as having alleles C/G, not C/T.

http://www.ensembl.org/Homo_sapiens/Variation/Mappings?r=11:76370918-76371918;v=rs79525962;vdb=variation;vf=1164142

This data comes from dbSNP, however, if you look on the population genetics
page, we have imported data directly from 1000 genomes VCF files, and there
the alleles are given as C/T. So there is some disagreement between the
dbSNP alleles and the 1000 genomes alleles. This may well be resolved in
some future release of dbSNP - in fact if you look at the record on dbSNP,
they also show the C/T alleles being reported under the 1000 genomes
submissions.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/SNP/snp_ref.cgi?rs=rs79525962

but for some reason they haven't added the "T" to the list of alleles.

Basically, the results are OK for the alleles given - C/T gives a peptide
change of A/T, whereas C/G gives a peptide change of A/P. So neither is
necessarily "correct", it just depends what you want to interpret as being
the observed alleles at that position. Of course, there is also the possible
situation where in fact three alleles have genuinely been observed (C/G/T)
at that position, which means they would both be correct!

Hope this helps

Will