[ensembl-dev] Performance Analysis and Hardware Acceleration of VEP.

Syed Hossain snhossain at ebi.ac.uk
Tue Aug 30 09:52:36 BST 2022

Hello Muhammad Ali Akhtar,

Thanks for the query!

1. So we do have our performance analysis on VEP which was published on
the latest paper. You can check the result here -
https://genomebiology.biomedcentral.com/articles/10.1186/s13059-016-0974-4.

2. VEP have option to run in multiple thread (--fork option, see -
https://www.ensembl.org/info/docs/tools/vep/script/vep_options.html#opt_fork)
which suitable to run on multiple core clusters. And some of the
underlying computation (such as linkage disequilibrium stats) are in C
and Perl works as a wrapper. We do have a longer time plan to switch to
a modern language.

Hope that answers your query.

Best regards,
Nakib