[ensembl-dev] Error 503 GRCh37

Dan Sheppard dan at ebi.ac.uk
Mon Oct 5 18:56:41 BST 2020

Hi Johann,

Thanks for your message. We've noticed a higher than normal error rate
both on GRCh37 REST, and also on certain main REST endpoints; it has
set off a number of monitoring alarms. We have been looking into the
errors and these seem to be caused by recent increases in data volume,
meaning that we need to re-tweak some resource settings to maintain
adequate throughput. We should have this completed within the next few days,
and hopefully error rates will reduce.

There is no reason to believe that your script is misusing the service
on the basis of this outcome, but thank you for your concern. It's always
a good idea to wrap calls in some kind of backoff-then-retry loop but I
understand how frustrating it can be if things seem to constantly stall.

I will keep you posted.

Dan.