[ensembl-dev] Failed to get Ensembl genes with the API

Sebastien Moretti smoretti at unil.ch
Fri Dec 18 09:34:30 GMT 2020

Hi Mag

> Hi Sébastien,
>
> Thank you for bringing this to our attention.
> If you are only wanting to access data for mouse, the 'api' alias for
> git ensembl will provide all the necessary repositories.
> You are right however that ensembl-metadata and ensembl-taxonomy should
> be made more easily accessible through our Git tools and we will update
> this in the coming release.

Thanks

> Regarding your issues retrieving mouse genes, could you provide more
> details on your script?
>
> The following printed out 56,305.
>
>     my $registry = "Bio::EnsEMBL::Registry";
>
>     $registry->load_registry_from_db(
>        -db_version => 102,
>        -host => 'ensembldb.ensembl.org',
>        -user => 'anonymous',
>        -port => 3306
>     );
>
>     my $gene_adaptor = $registry->get_adaptor( 'mus musculus', 'Core',
>     'Gene' );
>
>     my $genes = $gene_adaptor->fetch_all();
>     print "Found " . scalar(@$genes) . "\n";

Our script is similar with API version 102:
my $reg = 'Bio::EnsEMBL::Registry';
$reg->load_registry_from_db( -user    => 'anonymous',
                              -pass    => '',
                              -host    => 'ensembldb.ensembl.org',
                              -port    => 5306,
                              -verbose => 1, # Verbose output
                             );
my $gene_adaptor = $reg->get_adaptor( 'mus_musculus', 'Core', 'Gene' );
my @genes = @{ $gene_adaptor->fetch_all() };

The main differences are "mus_musculus" instead of "mus musculus"
and port 5306 instead of 3306.

Cheers
Sébastien