[ensembl-dev] Ensembl REST API | exact meaning of 'Species name'

Brandon Walts bwalts at ebi.ac.uk
Thu Jul 18 16:41:36 BST 2019

Hi Ramiro

It's safest to use the "name" value for the validation you describe.
That said, the REST endpoints should accept any of the aliases as well.

Regarding the meanings of "name", "scientific name", "display name", and
"common name": "name" is the internal name used to uniquely identify a
particular database. "Scientific name" is the name of the species,
formatted with capitalisation and spacing for the website, and without a
strain identifier (if any). Display names, likewise, are the names used
for display on the website. Scientific, display, and common names are
not suitable as species parameters because some of them contain
characters that will not work in URLs (e.g. Mouse C57BL/6NJ), and they
may not uniquely identify a database (e.g. species with multiple
strains). "Human" works because there is an alias "human", and the
lookup is case insensitive.

Aliases are assigned to each species by hand. Although some patterns are
commonly seen, for example first letter of genus and first three letters
of species ("ggor"), there is no systematic rule for creating aliases.
This is partly due to the requirement that each alias be unique - having
unique aliases that conform to a scheme simply can't scale. Because of
those scaling issues, we are also no longer assigning aliases for new
species (such as goat), although existing aliases will stay.

Best regards
-Brandon