[ensembl-dev] Ensembl REST API | exact meaning of 'Species name'

Ramiro Magno ramiro.magno at gmail.com
Thu Jul 18 15:01:20 BST 2019

Hi Anja,

May I ask for you help this previous question of mine about the 'species'
name?

I am implementing a function in R that will (hopefully) do input validation
on the species name before placing requests on the server. For that I need
to know what are bona fide species names. So I thought I'd get that info
from the /info/species endpoint but I am not entirely sure if I should use
the 'name' or whether to allow any of the other aliases...?

I noticed that for some endpoints I can use 'human' or 'homo_sapiens'
interchangeably but I am not sure if other aliases will work for all
endpoints too. For example, the display name for human is 'Human' (capital
H) does that work too? There are also aliases like 'homo' or 'hsap' will
that work? I am looking for a rule that is applicable to all species, not
just human.

Thank you again for your patience.

RM