[ensembl-dev] TSL vs Gencode Basic

Carlos carlos at ebi.ac.uk
Thu Oct 25 10:13:13 BST 2018

Hi Beat,

The GENCODE basic gene set and the TSL flags are calculated separately.

The GENCODE basic aim is to provide a representative subset of the
GENCODE (comprehensive) transcript set based on full-length transcripts
covering the majority (>= 80%) of the exonic sequence [1] [2].

The TSL flags highlight how well the transcripts are supported based on
primary data (mRNAs and ESTs) [2].

There could be cases like the one you pointed out (SYNGAP1-230) which do
not have any TSL support because the fact that there is an associated
RefSeq NM does not mean there should be a TSL flag as well. TSLs are
based on primary data, not on NMs (which are also based on primary data
though).

I hope it helps.

Regards,
Carlos