[ensembl-dev] Ensembl 90 archive site server error

Thomas Danhorn danhornt at njhealth.org
Fri Mar 30 07:00:07 BST 2018

Dear developers,

When I search for something (e.g. ENSG00000000003) on
http://aug2017.archive.ensembl.org/ (the Ensembl 90 archive site), I get a
message on pink background, "Search server failed to respond", evn though
I get search results like I would expect.  The main web site and its US
mirrors do not give this error message, and neither does the archive site
for Ensembl 89 (may2017), so this is lilely specific to the archive for
90.

When I try do download synonyms for Ensembl genes using version 90 of the
Perl API, however, it silently fails, i.e. it appears like there are no
synonyms (even though the gene record on the web site shows that
there should be some), and I see warnings or errors.  I have done
this for a couple thousand genes.  (Interestingly, ENSG00000015479
does give "ALS21, MPD2, VCPDM" as sysnonyms, but none of the other genes
do -- different source?)  I tried both mouse and human genes, and I
suspect this issue is related to the error message on the web site
described above.

I have retried several times (both the web search and Perl API), and the
problem has persisted for more than 7 hours now, so this does not appear
to be a momentary glitch.  I would greatly appreciate if someone could
look into this.

Thank you very much,

Thomas