[ensembl-dev] VEP: pheno data

Nicolas Thierry-Mieg Nicolas.Thierry-Mieg at univ-grenoble-alpes.fr
Mon Mar 26 21:31:06 BST 2018

Thanks for your quick reply, and thanks for the link to the vep_formats
page. It explains it all and I had forgotten about it somehow.

I was expecting things like DGVa / OMIM / other identifiers, not just a
flag saying "this variant / gene is associated with a phenotype
somewhere". But it's OK, now I know.

Regards,
Nicolas

On 03/26/2018 06:56 PM, Andrew Parton wrote:
> Hi Nicolas,
>
> Thanks for your enquiry. This is expected behaviour, these flags return
> the somatic status, whether the existing variant is associated with a
> phenotype, or whether the overlapping gene is associated with a
> phenotype. The symbol & is used to separate values if multiple existing
> variants are found to overlap with the input data.
>
> More information on these outputs can be found here:
> https://www.ensembl.org/info/docs/tools/vep/vep_formats.html
>
> If there’s anything else I can do to help, please let me know.
>
> Kind Regards,
> Andrew Parton
>
>> On 26 Mar 2018, at 17:10, Nicolas Thierry-Mieg
>> <Nicolas.Thierry-Mieg at univ-grenoble-alpes.fr
>> <mailto:Nicolas.Thierry-Mieg at univ-grenoble-alpes.fr>> wrote:
>>
>> Dear colleagues,
>>
>> I am running VEP latest (release/91), in offline mode with
>> --gene_phenotype --check_existing .
>>
>> All I get in the SOMATIC, PHENO and GENE_PHENO columns are strings
>> that look like boolean flags: "0&1" , "1", "0&1&1" ...
>>
>> I tried against both the default ENSEMBL cache and the refseq cache,
>> with the same results.
>>
>> Full command-line:
>> vep --offline --vcf  --no_stats  --gene_phenotype  --check_existing
>>  -i test.vcf -o test_vep.vcf
>>
>> Is this expected behavior, and if yes how do I interpret these values?
>> Otherwise, any suggestions? Re-install VEP from scratch? Clear and
>> re-install the cache? Something else?
>>
>> Thanks.
>> Regards,
>> Nicolas

Nicolas Thierry-Mieg
Laboratoire TIMC-IMAG/BCM, CNRS UMR 5525
Pavillon Taillefer, Faculte de Medecine
38700 La Tronche, France
tel: (+33)456.520.067, fax: (+33)456.520.055