[ensembl-dev] Some RefSeq transcripts seem broken

João Eiras joao.eiras at gmail.com
Tue Sep 27 13:51:23 BST 2016

On 27 September 2016 at 14:26, Will McLaren <wm2 at ebi.ac.uk> wrote:
> Yes, my reply still stands.
>
> The protein sequence as stored in $tva->transcript_variation->_peptide is
> extracted from the protein sequence as constructed by the Ensembl API (from
> the imported RefSeq coords and the genomic sequence), *not* from the protein
> sequence as given in the RefSeq record. The reasons for this are explained
> in my initial reply.
>
> Unfortunately this is how our whole API is designed, and we are currently
> looking for better solutions at dealing with situations where the RefSeq
> sequence differs from the genome.
>
> Hopefully that makes more sense?

Ah, ok. So you understand that the problem exists and it will
hopefully be fixed in the future. That was the whole point for me to
ask about this anyway,

I got a bit confused because I thought when you meant "the protein
sequence as constructed by the Ensembl API"  you somehow referred to
VEP producing an mutated sequence.

Thank you very much for your time.