[ensembl-dev] Combined Ensembl database installation for 37 and 38

Steve Trevanion steve at ebi.ac.uk
Fri Jun 24 10:49:17 BST 2016

Hi,

We would recommend having two distinct MySQL servers for the GRCh38 and
GRCh37 databases. This would be particularly significant for species
other than human where the database name is not sufficient to identify
the data it contains - for example the data in mus_musculus_core_84_38
on ensembldb.ensembl.org:5306 is different to that in
mus_musculus_core_84_38 on ensembldb.ensembl.org:3337

If you are interested in setting up two webservers I suggest having two
separate checkouts of the code. You can run two servers on the same host
as long as they use different ports. We routinely run multiple servers
on the same hardware in this manner.

Regards,

Steve