[ensembl-dev] VEP - start_lost consequence on first codon of transcripts with incomplete CDS 5'

Cyriac Kandoth kandoth at cbio.mskcc.org
Wed Jun 8 18:23:14 BST 2016

Keeping variant consequence separate from the quality of the transcript,
neatly limits the complexity of VEP. A solution for you, might be to pick
and report the consequence of the variant on the "canonical transcript". Or
maybe the transcript that is actually expressed in the tissue you're
studying. This is they motivation behind the --pick and --pick-order
options in VEP:

http://useast.ensembl.org/info/docs/tools/vep/script/vep_options.html#opt_pick

~Cyriac