[ensembl-dev] VEP - start_lost consequence on first codon of transcripts with incomplete CDS 5'

Jose M. Gonzalez jmg at sanger.ac.uk
Wed Jun 8 11:36:21 BST 2016

Hi,

We have noticed that VEP calls a "start_lost" consequence on variants
affecting the first codon of transcripts with an incomplete CDS 5', i.e.
those tagged with a 'cds_start_NF' attribute. In most cases this first
codon is not even a canonical start codon. Here is an example:
http://www.ensembl.org/Homo_sapiens/Variation/Explore?db=core;g=ENSG00000116198;r=1:3829193-3829524;t=ENST00000461667;v=rs763522630;vdb=variation;vf=129057128

These are partial transcripts for which the true start codon is not
known, so we believe that a "start_lost" consequence does not seem
appropriate in this case. Perhaps a consequence such as
"missense_variant" or "synonymous_variant" would be more adequate for
variants falling on these codons.

Would it be possible for VEP to handle transcript attributes indicating
partial length in order to call these types of consequences more accurately?

Thanks,
Jose

--
Jose M. Gonzalez