[ensembl-dev] associated or reported gene for phenotypes

Will McLaren wm2 at ebi.ac.uk
Tue Apr 26 14:15:10 BST 2016

Hi Mark,

You could use either a MySQL query on the variation database (
homo_sapiens_variation_84_38 at ensembldb.ensembl.org:3306):

SELECT pf.*, pfa.value AS associated_gene
FROM phenotype_feature pf, phenotype p, phenotype_feature_attrib pfa,
attrib_type a
WHERE pf.phenotype_id = p.phenotype_id
AND pf.phenotype_feature_id = pfa.phenotype_feature_id
AND pfa.attrib_type_id = a.attrib_type_id
AND a.code = 'associated_gene'
AND p.description = 'DIABETES MELLITUS, TYPE 2';

or the perl API; you'd need to fetch a phenotype object and then all
associated phenotype features, filtering that list down to those with
associated genes. Here's some links with a tutorial and the relevant class
documentation:

http://www.ensembl.org/info/docs/api/variation/variation_tutorial.html#phenotype
http://www.ensembl.org/info/docs/Doxygen/variation-api/classBio_1_1EnsEMBL_1_1Variation_1_1DBSQL_1_1PhenotypeAdaptor.html
http://www.ensembl.org/info/docs/Doxygen/variation-api/classBio_1_1EnsEMBL_1_1Variation_1_1DBSQL_1_1PhenotypeFeatureAdaptor.html