[ensembl-dev] Conversion of ENA xref ids into working URLs

Dmitry Kuznetsov Dmitry.Kuznetsov at isb-sib.ch
Fri Apr 22 09:49:17 BST 2016

Hello Ensembl team,

I would like to use ENA external references noted in Ensembl genomes table xrefs in form e.g.

KE159678.1:CDS:7103..8458

GG666297.1:CDS:complement(18707..20086)

Using those, I need construct two URLs pointing to

1.      ENA website dynamic page with HTML description of this region

2.      ENA service returning image of the region, like the one specified in the documentation http://www.ebi.ac.uk/ena/data/view/graphics/BN000065%26featureRange%3D10-300000%26sequenceRange%3D103-166

In fact, my question is how to convert the parameters encoded in the ENA xref ids into the ones acceptable by ENA website. It is clear that GG666297 in my second example is scaffold name, 18707..20086 denotes sequence range. Is CDS a mandatory parameter? How to specify reverse strand?  Which parameters should I use constructing URLs?

If all my questions are already explained in the excellent Ensembl/ENA documentation, please just point me the link.

Thanks,

Dmitry.