[ensembl-dev] Biomart downloading inconsistencies

Denise Carvalho-Silva denise at ebi.ac.uk
Tue Feb 10 13:44:29 GMT 2015

Hi Venetia,

Regarding your question 'Is there a count for the distinct transcripts as well?', no there is not.

The count is available for genes only as the Gene database in BioMart is gene centric.

You may want to do your query one chr at a time in BioMart too as you do already with the Ensembl Perl API.

Kind regards,
Denise

On 4 Feb 2015, at 14:51, Venetia Pliatsika wrote:

> [...]
>>
>> The useast is a mirror of the main site and should contain the same data
>> as our www.ensembl.org in the UK.
>>
>> This is so much so that when I search for the genes from your list below,
>> e.g. ENSG00000001084, ENSG00000090989 on useast.ensembl.org I do get
>> results for them, so they are not missing on useast.
>>
>> http://useast.ensembl.org/Homo_sapiens/Gene/Summary?db=core;g=ENSG00000001
>> 084;r=6:53497341-53616970
>>
>> http://useast.ensembl.org/Homo_sapiens/Gene/Summary?db=core;g=ENSG00000090
>> 989;r=4:55853616-55905034
>>
>> http://useast.ensembl.org/Homo_sapiens/Gene/Summary?db=core;g=ENSG00000213
>> 347;r=5:177301461-177312757
>>
>> In addition to this, when I perform a query in BioMart (on both useast and
>> main sites) using the filter you did, I do get the same number of entries
>> as expected, i.e. 60249 / 64814 Genes (see the attached screenshots).
>>
>> BioMart is not the ideal tool for retrieval of genome wide data. So what I
>> think it's happening here is that the results get truncated on the useast
>> since the servers get overloaded there as it's working hours in the US
>> (but almost bed time in the UK) and there is a time out on the website.
>>
>> You could perhaps try to perform this query in batches (for example for
>> each chr at once).
>>
>> The best alternative for genome wide queries is to use our Perl APIs:
>>
>> http://www.ensembl.org/info/docs/api/core/index.html#api
>> http://www.ensembl.org/info/docs/api/core/core_tutorial.html
>> http://www.ensembl.org/info/docs/Doxygen/core-api/index.html
>>
>> Hope it makes sense.
>>
>> Kind regards,
>>
>> Denise
>> Ensembl Outreach
>>

>>> Hello,
>>>
>>> I'm sending because I found a discrepancy between the
>>> http://useast.ensembl.org/biomart/martview/ and
>>> <http://www.ensembl.org/biomart/martservice>
>>>
>>> http://www.ensembl.org/biomart/<http://www.ensembl.org/biomart/martview>m
>>> artview<http://www.ensembl.org/biomart/martview>
>>> web services and would like to confirm that the data I have are
>>> complete.
>>>
>>> I submitted the following search on both the UK and the US East servers:
>>>
>>> Dataset
>>> Homo sapiens genes (GRCh38)
>>> Filters
>>> With protein(Genbank) ID(s): Excluded
>>> Attributes
>>> Ensembl Gene ID
>>> Ensembl Transcript ID
>>> Chromosome Name
>>> Strand
>>> Unspliced (Transcript)
>>> Associated Gene Name
>>>
>>> But I got different results. The difference is quite big as they include
>>> 67,482 and 78,820 sequences accordingly. As far as I checked the file
>>> from
>>> ensembl.org contained all entries that useast.ensembl.org had, including
>>> some more.
>>>
>>> Here are some genes that weren't included in the useast.ensmbl.org but
>>> ENSG00000090989
>>> ENSG00000104723
>>> ENSG00000108846
>>> ENSG00000109158