[ensembl-dev] Question regarding UTR retrieval from database

Steve Moss gawbul at gmail.com
Tue Apr 14 14:47:25 BST 2015

Dear Duarte,

Just looking at the transcript/exon information here
http://www.ensembl.org/Homo_sapiens/Transcript/Exons?db=core;g=ENSG00000049245;r=1:7772707-7779806;t=ENST00000470357
it appears as though some of the coordinates you have given correspond to
exons? What EnsEMBL release are you using? I'm not sure if I understand
correctly, but is it the 5 prime + 3 prime UTRs and the intron sequences
that you want?

You can use $transcript->get_all_Introns() to retrieve the non-coding
regions between the exons (implicitly defined as introns). The coordinates
from the beginning of the gene, e.g. $gene->start() to the beginning of the
transcript, e.g. $transcript->start() should be the 5 prime UTR sequence
(which should be the same as 5' UTR start and end you used - so not sure
why you were getting the other values?), and the $transcript->end() to
$gene->end() should be the 3 prime UTR coordinates.

Is that what you want?

Cheers,

Steve