[ensembl-dev] Converting mouse gene IDs to human

Kieron Taylor ktaylor at ebi.ac.uk
Fri Sep 5 14:08:57 BST 2014

Dear Eva,

The finding of equivalent IDs across species relies on one of two
mechanisms. The Compara API offers homology (see Homologies and Protein
clusters in [1]), and the core API "xrefs" allow you to match them via
imported annotation.

If you just want to locate the original source of projected names from
HGNC, you can use the fetch_all_by_external_name or
fetch_all_by_external_names methods found in all FeatureAdaptors (e.g.
GeneAdaptor) to do the job. The HGNC names are imported by us, hence
they are considered external.

[1]
http://www.ensembl.org/info/docs/api/compara/compara_tutorial.html

Regards,