[ensembl-dev] VEP cache files for barley (Hordeum vulgare)

Will McLaren wm2 at ebi.ac.uk
Wed Nov 19 09:04:07 GMT 2014

Hello,

By default when using --cache the VEP checks in with the DB server at
ensembldb.ensembl.org at the beginning of its run; barley is located on a
different server, which you can have the VEP connect to using --genomes
(see
http://www.ensembl.org/info/docs/tools/vep/script/vep_options.html#opt_genomes
)

You can also bypass this connection completely by using --offline (with
limitations, see
http://www.ensembl.org/info/docs/tools/vep/script/vep_cache.html#limitations),
though note in this case you must use the latin name for the species e.g.
--species hordeum_vulgare

In both the above cases you will also need to specify the e!Genomes cache
version using --cache_version 24, since the e!Genomes version numbers
differ from the main Ensembl version numbers (see
http://www.ensembl.org/info/docs/tools/vep/script/vep_options.html#opt_cache_version
)

So, in summary, you can use either:

perl variant_effect_predictor.pl --cache --cache_version 24 --species
barley --genomes

or

perl variant_effect_predictor.pl --offline --cache_version 24 --species
hordeum_vulgare

Regards

Will McLaren
Ensembl Variation