[ensembl-dev] VEP custom annotation using BED

Will McLaren wm2 at ebi.ac.uk
Fri May 23 10:09:23 BST 2014

Your understanding is correct.

For unbalanced variants, there is no difference; any feature from the BED
that overlaps any part of the coordinates representing the input variant
should be reported.

In the odd case of insertions, where in Ensembl/VEP we represent this as
start = end + 1 (where the base(s) are inserted between those two
coordinates), the inserted base must fall _within_ the BED feature to be
reported. Here's an example

BED:

chr1    10      20      feature1

Input variants:

1    20    21    AG/-  # deletion, feature1 reported
1    21    20    -/T     # insertion, feature1 NOT reported
1    20    19    -/T     # insertion, feature1 reported

Hope that helps

Will McLaren
Ensembl Variation