[ensembl-dev] New REST server is out!

Michael Heuer heuermh at gmail.com
Thu Jun 26 16:41:06 BST 2014

Hello Magali,

The format of the data returned by the vep endpoints is completely
different now, would have been nice to have some advanced notice.

In fact, the conventions used to convert to JSON are completely
different than used elsewhere and are in some cases invalid, e.g.

{
  "SYMBOL":"BRAF",
  "SYMBOL_SOURCE":"HGNC"
  "STRAND":-1

Why ALLUPPERCASE for the field name?

  "Uploaded_variation":"COSM476",

Why Sentence_case for the field name?

  "Existing_variation":"rs113488022,COSM18443,COSM476,COSM6137",
  "CLIN_SIG":"other,pathogenic,untested"
  "Consequence":"missense_variant,NMD_transcript_variant"

Why is an array of string values shoved into a single value?
Shouldn't these be array values?

  "Location":"7:140453136"

Location used to be a nested object:

         "location" : {
            "strand" : 1,
            "name" : "7",
            "coord_system" : "chromosome",
            "start" : 140453136,
            "end" : 140453136
         },

This looks to me like a step backwards for this particular endpoint.

   michael