[ensembl-dev] New REST server is out!

Kieron Taylor ktaylor at ebi.ac.uk
Thu Jun 26 16:32:49 BST 2014

Hi Brett,

Reasons to think before you leap:

1) The local VEP script will be faster, because there is overhead in the
networking and server layers that you don't really need (unless you
already have something encapsulating the VEP script for multiple users).

2) The effort required to get it up and running, with plenty of
dependencies, local database copies, VEP fasta caches, indexes, and
server config. Our ability to support you on unfamiliar architectures is
limited.

3) The installation guide
[https://github.com/Ensembl/ensembl-rest/wiki/REST-Installation-and-Development]
is your best bet, but it has not been thoroughly tested with our current
release yet. We will improve it if needed.

4) Our REST server is backed by more hardware now than in beta, so you
might be able to use rest.ensembl.org to do the work anyway. Network
latency is not necessarily the biggest factor when you're submitting
1000-strong batches.

Reasons in favour:

1) Turn-around time of smaller queries and batches
2) Coolness
3) Relaxed limits on batch size and frequency
4) Custom behaviour

We're happy to hear of your interest, so please contact us if you have
any difficulties.

Regards,

Kieron Taylor
Ensembl Core