[ensembl-dev] Variation::OverlapConsequence::rank()

Will McLaren wm2 at ebi.ac.uk
Mon Jun 2 13:19:16 BST 2014

The VEP can still report these Ensembl consequence terms, using "--terms
ensembl"

http://www.ensembl.org/info/docs/tools/vep/script/vep_options.html#opt_terms

You can also retrieve the terms from the OverlapConsequence objects in
%Bio::EnsEMBL::Variation::Utils::Constants::OVERLAP_CONSEQUENCES using the
display_term() method; you could use this in a plugin if you wished to
display both SO (in the main Consequence column) and Ensembl (in the
plugin's own field) terms.

Will

On 2 June 2014 13:03, Genomeo Dev <genomeodev at gmail.com> wrote:

> Thanks. Actually the terms in ConsequenceType.pm are quite a useful
> grouping for a broad classification. I would love to see them at least in
> the API in future releases as it would make a good common ground for those
> reporting broad variant consequences.
>
> G.
>

> On 30 May 2014 11:52, Laurent Gil <lgil at ebi.ac.uk> wrote:
>
>>  Hi Genomeo,
>>
>> Actually it's because the terms are grouped by the Old Ensembl term,
>> using the highest rank of the terms which belong to this "group",
>> e.g:
>> The Old Ensembl term " Within non coding gene" should be ranked 23 but
>> the term " non_coding_exon_variant" is ranked 20, so we displayed it in the
>> table at the rank 20.
>>
>> Thanks for spotting that. We built the table a long time ago and it
>> definitively need to be updated.
>> We will change the table in the next release to match the ranking of each
>> individual consequence term.
>>
>> Best regards,
>>
>> Laurent
>>
>> On 30/05/2014 11:41, Will McLaren wrote:
>>
>> Seems nc_transcript_variant is out of order in that table, thanks for
>> spotting that.
>>
>>  ConsequenceType.pm is not used by the current API code and will be
>> deprecated. The Ensembl terms are no longer the preferred terms to use; the
>> SO equivalents are what we recommend for use now.
>>
>>  You can get the consequence types and their various attributes from the
>> hash:
>>
>>  %Bio::EnsEMBL::Variation::Utils::Constants::OVERLAP_CONSEQUENCES
>>
>>  e.g. to get a hash with the ranks in:
>>
>>  my %ranks = map {$_->SO_term => $_->rank} values
>> %Bio::EnsEMBL::Variation::Utils::Constants::OVERLAP_CONSEQUENCES;
>>
>>  print "$_\t$ranks{$_}\n" for sort {$ranks{$a} <=> $ranks{$b}} keys
>> %ranks;
>>
>>  Regards
>>
>>  Will
>>

>> On 30 May 2014 10:21, Genomeo Dev <genomeodev at gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>>> Hi Will,
>>>
>>>  I wonder if that is the latest table as seems not consistent with
>>> these ranks obtained from OverlapConsequence::rank()
>>>
>>>  21 INTRONIC
>>> 22 NMD_TRANSCRIPT
>>> 23 WITHIN_NON_CODING_GENE
>>> 24 UPSTREAM