[ensembl-dev] DNV annotation problem?

Will McLaren wm2 at ebi.ac.uk
Fri Jan 17 12:13:25 GMT 2014

Dear Ken,

When you encode variants on the negative strand, the sequence should still
read 5' to 3', but on the negative strand the 5' end is the higher
coordinate. This can be a little confusing!

+ strand: 5' >> AC >> 3'
- strand: 3' << TG << 5'

This is what is causing the problem as the GT becomes TG which changes GTg
(V) to TGg (W).

so your encoding should be (in default VEP format):

7       140453136       140453137       GT/AA    -

or on the forward strand:

7       140453136       140453137       AC/TT    +

or, in VCF:

7       140453136       .       AC      TT

For reference the same variant is found in COSMIC:

http://www.ensembl.org/Homo_sapiens/Variation/Mappings?db=core;r=7:140452636-140453637;v=COSM473;vdb=variation;vf=68925947

Regards

Will McLaren
Ensembl Variation