[ensembl-dev] Perl Version Upgrade

Andy Yates ayates at ebi.ac.uk
Wed Jan 8 17:21:13 GMT 2014

Hi John,

This is a fair point. I would direct those users to install a new version of Perl using perlbrew. We have our blog post from September which details how to perform an installation of Perl on OSX. Whilst this is not aimed at versions of OSX prior to 10.6 [1] the guide should be applicable to most OSX versions. We actually recommend users install their own version of Perl on OSX CPAN module upgrades have sometimes had very serious unintentional side-effects.

Should a user not feel confident in running Perlbrew then there are alternatives such as fink [2] or homebrew [3] both of which provide rudimentary package management on OSX. I cannot vouch how good these systems are when installing new Perl versions as I've always gone the route of Perlbrew.

Finally there is always the option of using a virtual machine; specifically the Ensembl virtual machine. This works nicely with VirtualBox & provides a useful development environment. We are also looking into a new tool called Vagrant [4] for providing VM setups (both with and without a desktop manager).

Cheers,

Andy

[1] - Indeed some of the instructions refer to the App Store which IIRC did not exist in 10.5
[2] - http://www.finkproject.org/
[3] - http://brew.sh
[2] - http://www.vagrantup.com/

Andrew Yates - Ensembl Support Coordinator
European Molecular Biology Laboratory
Wellcome Trust Genome Campus
Hinxton
Cambridge CB10 1SD