[ensembl-dev] Perl Version Upgrade

John Marshall jm18 at sanger.ac.uk
Wed Jan 8 16:46:48 GMT 2014

On 7 Jan 2014, at 16:14, Andy Yates wrote:
> From release 75 we wish to increase the minimal Perl version for Ensembl from 5.8 to 5.14.
>
> Many OS ship with compatible versions of Perl out of the box; to check what version of Perl you are currently running you should execute the following from your command line (anything with 5.14 or above is great):

Notably most versions of Mac OS X do not ship with Perl 5.14 or later.

A bit of searching suggests that the highest system Perl on Snow Leopard is 5.10.0, on Lion and Mountain Lion it is 5.12.x, and only on Mavericks, with 5.16.2, is there a system Perl version of at least 5.14.

What advice does Ensembl suggest for people wanting to use the e!75 and later APIs on Mac OS X?

> $ perl -v
> This is perl 5, version 14, subversion 4 (v5.14.4) built for darwin-thread-multi-2level

Presumably this is your own Perl, that you have installed yourself via perlbrew or similar.  Some of us can probably do this, but it doesn't seem like an ideal requirement in general...

    John