[ensembl-dev] Slow get_adaptor

mag mr6 at ebi.ac.uk
Wed Jan 8 10:27:08 GMT 2014

Hi Genomeo,

I am afraid we still have some heavy and long running queries slowing
down our servers.
We are looking into it as we speak.

I have tried running your code on a local server, for all the genes on
chromosome 1.
This returns in less than a minute, with 5363 genes and 17531 transcripts.
It would be a little bit slower from a remote server, but this gives you
an idea of how fast the script should be running in normal conditions.

The useast server seems a lot quieter, so I would recommend you try
using that instead.
host => useastdb.ensembl.org, user => anonymous
(http://www.ensembl.org/info/data/mysql.html)

Alternatively, if you are planning on using the databases regularly and
have mysql installed locally, you can create your own local server.
The mysql dumps are available here: ftp://ftp.ensembl.org/pub/current_mysql/
And instructions on how to install it can be found here:
http://www.ensembl.org/info/docs/webcode/mirror/install/ensembl-data.html

Hope that helps,
Magali