[ensembl-dev] Gene and RS

Will McLaren wm2 at ebi.ac.uk
Wed Apr 16 14:02:56 BST 2014

If you do want a quick way to get all rsIDs that fall in a gene, this query
should work:

SELECT vf.variation_name
FROM homo_sapiens_variation_75_37.variation_feature vf,
homo_sapiens_core_75_37.gene g
WHERE g.seq_region_id = vf.seq_region_id
AND vf.seq_region_end >= g.seq_region_start
AND vf.seq_region_start <= g.seq_region_end
AND vf.source_id = 1
AND g.stable_id = 'ENSG00000196218'

Replace ENSG00000196218 with the stable identifier of your gene of
interest. Remove "AND vf.source_id = 1" if you also want variation features
from sources that aren't dbSNP.

As Kieron says, we would encourage you to use our perl API, REST API or
BioMart, all of which can accomplish this same task without the risks of
schema changes.

The REST API is particularly suited to this sort of task; the following URL
retrieves all variants in a gene with ID ENSG00000157764:

http://beta.rest.ensembl.org/feature/id/ENSG00000157764?feature=variation;content-type=application/json

See http://beta.rest.ensembl.org/documentation/info/feature_id for more
details.

Regards