[ensembl-dev] Gene and RS

Kieron Taylor ktaylor at ebi.ac.uk
Wed Apr 16 13:46:25 BST 2014

Ensembl has a table for each genetic feature type, hence we have a
Transcript table, a Gene table, and one for each class of variation.
Each table shares a common set of fields, plus more that are specific to
that feature. This is slightly contrary to a traditionally normalised
schema.

It is not clear to me what you mean by "RS inside a Gene". If you wish
to understand our schema, please take a look at the following link.

http://www.ensembl.org/info/docs/api/core/core_schema.html

I urge you to find another way to access our data if at all possible.
Direct SQL queries against our schema is sometimes the right solution,
but suffers when we have to make changes in later releases. Our API and
other services insulate you from these changes. Also, some commonly
required data is computed and therefore cannot be found in the database
at all.

Regards,

Kieron Taylor
Ensembl Core