[ensembl-dev] IPI ID to ENSP via API?

Andy Yates ayates at ebi.ac.uk
Thu Oct 24 21:47:04 BST 2013

Hi,

I've just done a check of the current 73 DBs and the only species to have an identifier like IPI% is cow & rat. I think you've just been lucky maybe or on an older version of the databases.

As for your other question you can descend up the object hierarchy using accessors on the various objects e.g.

my $translation = $translation_adaptor->fetch_by_stable_id('ENSP00000381386');
my $transcript = $translation->transcript();
my $gene = $transcript->get_Gene();
my $display = ($gene->display_xref()) $gene->display_xref()->primary_id() : q{};

That will be quite slow so I would probably suggest using BioMart or going in with raw SQL e.g.

select tr.stable_id, g.stable_id, `dbprimary_acc`
from translation tr
join transcript t using (`transcript_id`)
join gene g using (`gene_id`)
join xref x on (g.`display_xref_id` = x.`xref_id`)
where tr.stable_id IN ('ENSP00000381386');

Of course if you've got translation objects you can switch the stable id out for translation_id.

Hope this helps,

Andy

Andrew Yates - Ensembl Core Software Project Leader
European Molecular Biology Laboratory
Wellcome Trust Genome Campus
Hinxton
Cambridge CB10 1SD