[ensembl-dev] Conservation_score = GERP?

Stephen Fitzgerald stephenf at ebi.ac.uk
Wed May 29 13:43:31 BST 2013

Hi Guillermo,
as a measure of conservation we display the ‘rejected
substitution' scores (accessed via the $conservation_score->diff_score
method in the compara API) calculated by GERP.
The diff_score = expected_score - observed_score.
So, the more positive the diff_score is the more resistant to substitutions
that column in the multiple alignment is (ie the more conserved it is over
evolutionary time). We do not have p-values for the conservation scores.
However, we do have p-values for the constrained elements generated from
the conservation scores.

Hope that helps,
Stephen.