[ensembl-dev] Source of refseq data in otherfeatures

Daniel Barrell db8 at sanger.ac.uk
Mon Jun 10 13:41:32 BST 2013

Hi Reece,

There may have been some confusion about your question to the list.
Hopefully I can clear it up a little.

There are 25,268 "refseq_human_import" genes in the human otherfeatures
database. These are incorporated into the database from GFF files which
NCBI provide to us, we do not download them from a public location. We
do not have the NCBI sequence, only the coordinates of the genes.

The current otherfeatures data dates from refseq_54 (you can see this in
gene.db_version). We only update this set when NCBI and EnsEMBL do a
comparison of data sets as part of the CCDS consortium.

Dan