[ensembl-dev] VM with rest API

Emily Pritchard emily at ebi.ac.uk
Mon Aug 19 10:41:48 BST 2013

Hi Brett

The REST API does not need to be installed. It is simply a number of
endpoints that can be achieved using simple URLs. You can access these
URLs and process the data they produce using any programming language
you wish. There is no need to install anything on your computer (other
than maybe your programming language of interest) and a VM would be of
no use. You can learn more here:
http://beta.rest.ensembl.org/documentation/user_guide

Can you send us the URLs that you are trying with VEP + REST, please?

All the best

Emily

On 18/08/2013 03:08, Brett Thomas wrote:
> Hey dev -- is there a VM that has the rest API installed out of the box?
>
> I'm trying to install on a clean ubuntu VM, and can't get VEP + rest
> to play nice. All of the other endpoints work great, but the vep ones
> keep failing with a cryptic Catalyst error: "stash takes a hash or
> hashref"
>
> I've tried a few different library permutations but can't get it
> working. If anybody has suggestions about the error above I'd love to
> hear them - but otherwise, I was hoping to inspect a working version
> to see what's different.
>
> Thanks --
> Brett

Dr Emily Pritchard