[ensembl-dev] Translations

Daniel Hughes dsth at ebi.ac.uk
Thu Oct 4 14:44:41 BST 2012

I don't work on the plants but can tell you that it generally depends upon
the specific resources used to import the data. in a worst case scenario in
which the 'correct' sequence cannot be recovered they made be demoted to
something termed 'non_coding_cds' (still viewable but don't go into
comparative analysis etc.). however, we prefer to generate sequence edit
objects - preferably at the transcript level to allow for the
'modifications' to propagate up to the peptides too (these are applied in
the api after exon splicing). in cases in which there are severe
discrepancies large-scale sequence substitutions may be used but at least
within EG Metazoa we are increasingly using dynamic programming to generate
the parsimonious sequence of insertion/deletion/substitutions to reconcile
conflicts between genomic and transcript level evidence (though in the case
of chado imports where 'corrected' sequences are generally only stored at
the peptide level we are a bit more conservative).

HTH

dan.
Daniel S. T. Hughes M.Biochem (Hons; Oxford), Ph.D (Cambridge)
dsth at cantab.net
dsth at cpan.org