[ensembl-dev] Translations

Andy Yates ayates at ebi.ac.uk
Thu Oct 4 14:42:52 BST 2012

Dear Sam,

Ensembl delegates the job of translating from CDS to protein to BioPerl. We also allow a codon table identifier to be set as a seq region attribute (according to those at http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/Taxonomy/Utils/wprintgc.cgi) allowing people to use different codon tables (such as bacteria genomes). There are also other mechanisms in place where Ensembl can substitute amino acids to cope with a post-translation modification (such as Selenocysteine).

Without specific examples it's hard to diagnose the cause of your issue. If you could send some examples thought I'm sure Ensembl Plants & Gramene would be interested in these cases (as would we if it showed up an issue with our code).

Regards,

Andy

Andrew Yates                   Ensembl Core Software Project Leader
EMBL-EBI                       Tel: +44-(0)1223-492538
Wellcome Trust Genome Campus   Fax: +44-(0)1223-494468
Cambridge CB10 1SD, UK         http://www.ensembl.org/