[ensembl-dev] EnsEMBL compara / protein sequence alignments

srodriguez srodriguez at jouy.inra.fr
Wed Nov 14 08:25:41 GMT 2012

Hi Javier,

Actually, we would like to obtain alignments of orthologous proteins isoforms.
These alignments would be used as entries for SIFT program.

After testing different methods (families...), I am still not sure
about the best way to get these alignments with Ensembl...

I am thinking about starting from genes from my query specie. For each
query specie gene, I would get all orthologs genes from my "hit
species" and then get all their proteins. Then I would align these
proteins to get orthologous proteins isoforms.

What do you think about this eventual method?

Best regards,

Sabrina.

Javier Herrero <jherrero at ebi.ac.uk> a écrit :

> BTW, we have an example script
> (ensembl-compara/scripts/examples/families_workshop_fetchFamilyAlignment.pl)
> that does something very similar to what you want (but just for one
> gene).
>
> Javier
>
> On 07/11/12 11:25, Javier Herrero wrote:
>> Hi Sabrina
>>
>> It is certainly possible to get proteins from several species.
>>
>> If you are interested in getting alignments for all possible
>> isoforms (each possible protein from each gene), you would have to
>> use the Ensembl families. These are groups of similar proteins, but
>> you should not assume that they are all orthologues. To infer
>> orthology, you need a phylogenetic tree. The trees we provide are
>> built using only one single representative protein per gene.
>>
>> In your case, I would recommend to use the Ensembl families, query
>> the families using each cow (this is you query species, isn't it?)
>> protein and dump the alignments. There are several options for
>> this. You may want to use all possible species (the families are
>> built using Ensembl and non-Ensembl proteins) or limit the
>> alignment to a subset of species. Also, in some cases you will find
>> that more than one cow proteins are in the same family, so you will
>> get duplicated alignments. Is this OK?
>>
>> Kind regards
>>
>> Javier
>>
>> On 05/11/12 13:47, srodriguez wrote:
>>> Hi Javier,
>>>
>>> Thank you for your answer.
>>>
>>> Actually, I would like to obtain, 1 file per protein query aligned
>>> to all other species ortholog proteins (and not 1 sequence to 1
>>> sequence).
>>>
>>> ex:
>>> for protein ENSBTAP00000032594, the file containing:
>>> ENSBTAP00000032594/1-397
>>> MDALRASAAKPPTGRKMKARAPPPPGKPATPNLHSGQRSPRRASPGPPQNQLSR
>>> ENSP00000265136/1-1261
>>> MDAPRASAAKPPTGRKMKARAPPPPGKAATLHVHSDQKPPHDGALGSQQNLVRMK
>>> ENSSPECIE2...