[ensembl-dev] EnsEMBL compara / protein sequence alignments

Javier Herrero jherrero at ebi.ac.uk
Wed Nov 7 11:25:11 GMT 2012

Hi Sabrina

It is certainly possible to get proteins from several species.

If you are interested in getting alignments for all possible isoforms
(each possible protein from each gene), you would have to use the
Ensembl families. These are groups of similar proteins, but you should
not assume that they are all orthologues. To infer orthology, you need a
phylogenetic tree. The trees we provide are built using only one single
representative protein per gene.

In your case, I would recommend to use the Ensembl families, query the
families using each cow (this is you query species, isn't it?) protein
and dump the alignments. There are several options for this. You may
want to use all possible species (the families are built using Ensembl
and non-Ensembl proteins) or limit the alignment to a subset of species.
Also, in some cases you will find that more than one cow proteins are in
the same family, so you will get duplicated alignments. Is this OK?

Kind regards

Javier