[ensembl-dev] Failed to add BAM tracks, .bai present, .bam sorted, need detailed error codes

Dan Sheppard ds23 at sanger.ac.uk
Fri Nov 2 12:26:42 GMT 2012

Hi Andrew,

I agree that the errors which you get from failed attachments can be
irritatingly uninformative. The big issue is our code itself trying to
work out why they failed. The parsing of file formats is delegated to
externally maintained modules or executables which themselves often fail
in a very uninformative way, without good messages (either none at all
or actively misleading messages). The best we can tell, often, is that
some eval block failed.

But I think it does make sense, where we can, to display extra info on a
failure. I'll create a ticket for us to look into improving this where
we can, but it's often not at all easy to do.

Dan.