[ensembl-dev] VEP Frequency annotation

Will McLaren wm2 at ebi.ac.uk
Fri May 4 11:08:50 BST 2012

Hi Duarte,

You could achieve a similar thing by putting your frequencies in a
BED-like or BigWig file, and load it with the VEP using --custom. See
the documentation for details
http://www.ensembl.org/info/docs/variation/vep/vep_script.html#custom.

You could use VCFtools to calculate the frequencies, or parse them out
of a VCF (if they're already there in the INFO field) using a simple
perl script. I have done so with the 1000 Genomes VCF files and it
works great.

You could then access this frequency data through a plugin.

The problem with adding the frequencies used to filter is that often
there are multiple frequencies pulled from the database; we don't have
one "global" frequency to use (although in future this may be possible
using a global frequency from the 1000 Genomes for example), and the
output may get messy.

Hope this helps

Will